Northern Virginia electric rates fluctuate on a regular basis, so you might have trouble budgeting for this utility bill. However, getting your bill under control is often more a matter of limiting electric usage. No matter what the rate may be, keeping your electric use down will result in more affordable Northern Virginia electric bills. As a bonus, reducing your energy usage is also beneficial to the environment. Here are some must-try tips to achieve this goal.
• If your Northern Virginia electric bills include heating and cooling costs, these costs will account for the highest percentage of your bill. To cut down on costs, adjust your thermostat just a few degrees.
• Downsize your cooking efforts to a slow cooker or microwave. Cooking with the stove or oven is a big drain when it comes to Northern Virginia electric use. If you do need to use the oven or stove for a specific recipe, consider cooking in big batches to make the most use of the electricity that you are using to run the oven.
• Check the air filters in your heating and cooling system at least once each month. Electric heating and cooling tends to be more expensive than oil or gas, but you can keep your costs down by properly maintaining the system.
• Completely unplug devices when they are not in use. Most people just flip the off switch and assume that no electricity is flowing to their appliances or electronics, but a small about of electric is still used. Unplugging anything that is not actively being used avoids this wastefulness.
• If you must leave electronics plugged in, be sure to set them to automatically enter sleep mode after a certain amount of time. A printer, tablet or computer that is turned on uses much more power than a device that is in an energy-saving mode.
• Before you go to bed each night, do a quick walk-through of your home to ensure that all lights, electronics, fans and other appliances that use electric are turned off. It may seem like a minor issue to leave lights or fans on overnight, but wasting electricity here and there starts to add up quickly.
• Check your Northern Virginia electric bill each month to compare with the actual meter reading. While meter readers work hard to get an accurate measure of your electric usage, human error still happens from time to time. Double checking the numbers takes just a minute of your time each month.