If you’re like most of us, you are always looking to cut back on spending and save more. Budgeting your bills and miscellaneous spending is a good start, but an even better way to cut back, is to conserve where possible; especially energy usage.
Like most of the country, Northern Virginia electric rates fluctuate on a regular basis, so budgeting this utility bill can be tricky. Your usage spikes during the cold winter months when your heat is working in overdrive and it too can be a bit on the high side during the summer months running central and window air conditioning units.
Try some of these useful tips to conserve energy and get your utility bill under control.
1. For starters, install a programmable thermostat. Adjust the temperatures accordingly for daytime hours when no one is at home or overnight hours.
2. Maintain your systems. Check the air filters in your heating and cooling system at least once each month to keep them running efficiently.
3. Unplug devices when they aren’t in use. Unplugging anything that is not actively being used – toaster oven, coffee pot, hair dryer – avoids this wastefulness.
4. Do a quick walk-through before bed. Be sure all lights, fans and unnecessary appliances are turned off. Wasting even small amounts of electricity every night can start to add up.
5. Now that it’s nice our, start utilizing the grill for cooking and cut back on your oven and stove usage.