When we think spring, besides looking forward to warmer weather, green grass and blossoms, we think about cleaning. After being cooped up with cabin fever all winter, it’s refreshing to open the windows and allow in fresh air, dust from top to bottom and to begin some DIY projects around the house or in the yard. For a homeowner, spring cleaning is more than just cleaning the window treatments and swapping out your wardrobe. The new season means it’s time to thoroughly inspect, clean and replace important filters around the house.
First, on a nice day, walk around the outside of your house, taking inventory of what tasks need attending to before they become a major – and possibly costly – repair. As a homeowner these aren’t spring chores – these are a necessity in order to maintain your residence.
Here’s a list of things to inspect:
*Inspect your roof for loose, missing or damaged shingles, evidence of leaks, or cracks in seals or flashing.
* Carefully check your homes foundation and seal for cracks.
*Replace HVAC filters and have your system inspected and maintained by a licensed and experienced heating and air conditioning repair company. Brand-new filters will keep your HVAC system in top form, ensuring that allergens stay outside and that it’s cooling properly in anticipation of the summer months.
* Check decks and steps for cracks, rotting boards, or places where nail are popping up.
* Clean out your gutters and check for damage or places where they are coming loose from the roofs edge.
* Coat your driveway with sealer
* Wash windows inside and out, take down storm windows and install screens and coverings.